I’m not even in my mid-20s yet but I feel like I’ve learnt so much already between the time I started university and now.
So, here we go. 20 things I’ve learnt in my 20s:
1. Your happiness should always be your first priority. When you’re happy, you are able to thrive in whatever circumstance that’s thrown your way.
2. Material things are never worth collecting: clothes, jewellery, electronics etc. They’re a waste of money and you’ll probably end up throwing them away after a few months. Instead, collect memories, take trips, go on that adventure you’ve always planned.
3. Actions speak louder than words. When people do things it’s not because they were forced to, it’s because they wanted to. Don’t try to read between the lines because those lines don’t even exist.
4. Personal health (both physical and mental) is very important. You are stuck in your body for the rest of your life so how about you clean up that “home” of yours and fill it with happy thoughts, healthy meals, good vibes…and remember to exercise every day.
5. Always follow your heart. No matter how absurd your idea is, just do it. Quit making excuses because chances are you’ll end up regretting pushing your ideas aside more than taking that leap of faith
6. Learn to enjoy your own company. Allow yourself time to meditate, discover yourself and learn what makes you different from everyone else.
7. Always be grateful for who you are and what you have. You may take it for granted but someone else has been praying for the same thing for years.
8. Never apologise for being yourself or having an opinion. Unless you’re just being an insensitive bully.
9. Embrace your flaws and learn to love yourself.
10. Don’t live in the past. That’s long gone and you can’t do a thing about it. Instead, use what you have to build the kind of future you won’t regret.
11. Have a purpose in life. Figure out what your passion is and work towards being the best at it. Nothing will ever work out if you don’t know what you want to begin with.
“Direction is much more important than pace. Many are going nowhere fast.” – Anonymous
12. Allow yourself to grow at your own pace. Make your own decisions, create your own path and make your own mistakes. And always stay focused.
“Without a goal you can’t score.” – Anonymous
13. It’s really none of your business how someone else choses to live their life. And never take anything personally. What someone else thinks should be the least of your worries.
14. Have an open mind. Say yes to new experiences and opportunities because that’s the only way you’re going to learn and grow.
15. It’s okay to separate yourself from those who don’t inspire you in any sort of way. Time is precious and it’s better to spend a few hours with one person who challenges you to be better than to spend a lifetime with people who dim your light.
16. Always take a moment before reacting to situations. Think about what you are about to say or do and whether or not it’s worth it.
17. Be humble, kind and treat people with respect. Just as much as you’d like to see them treat you.
18. Never ever try to blend in. And it’s not okay to be called “normal”. Normal is boring.
19. Everything happens for a reason and a season. So when it’s all said and done don’t sulk about it. Be grateful for the lessons you’ve learnt and move forward as a stronger person than you were. Plus there’s always greater things ahead. 🙂
20. And lastly, learn to appreciate those who matter the most to you in life. Spend time with them and make sure they know that they are loved.
Always be kind.